|Into the Gauntlet|
|Author:||Margaret Peterson Haddix|
|Publication Date:||August 30, 2010|
|Preceded By:||Storm Warning|
|Followed By:||Vespers Rising|
The Clue is the Serum Formula.
Secret MessageEditVespers Are Coming
This letter is from Grace for William. She writes that the news from her doctor isn't good and she will die soon. News on the front are worst: The Vespers are drawing near. She hopes that the hunt will help Amy and Dan bring this family together. The devil is at the door, this family must fight the real enemy.
Unlike most books, this includes one card from each branch, all of them are needed for a puzzle, and they are all agent cards.
It's showing the characters that participated in the gauntlet while also giving a short description of them for the card name. Names from top to bottom are Amy, Dan, Jonah, Hamilton, Alistair, and Natalie.
When you put these cards in the order of 221, 220, 225, 222, 224 and 223, it forms a scene of the gauntlet.
These cards together form the message "ONLY TOGETHER CAN WE FIGHT THE TRUE ENEMY" in the order of cards 220, 225, 224, 223, 222, 221, 223, 224 and 225.
Card 220: The Last Chance has an image on the back that can be arranged with 9 cards from the other books to make the scene of Gideon Cahill's lab fire.
This is only able by listening to the bonus track on the audio book. In it, Grace leaves a final message to Amy and Dan. She says that by now, the two have learned the entire truth and that they had inherited a few more things. She leaves her bungalow from the Madrigal Gauntlet, her headquarters in Madagascar, and the Flying Lemur. She also says in her Swiss Bank Account are a couple of her personal belongings she didn't want to keep in the mansion from Hope and Arthur. Amy receives a necklace Hope got on her eleventh birthday right before her father died. Dan gets a watch Arthur had that is damaged from many attacks. And from Grace, a ring. She ends the recording saying goodbye and that she loves both of them.
- The book is in everyone in the Clue Hunt's point of view (except for Irina Spasky, who is dead).
- On the front cover, the key in the logo is usually behind the U in Clues. But on the cover of this book, the key is seen flying out of the U. A guess might be that the U is made of an elastic material that, if something hits it, will pass through it. This is again seen is in the promotional videos for Vespers Rising.
- The same keys have a reference of the branch names. At the tip of each key there is the first letter of the branch at the top of the key.
- There is usually an image of the world behind the words, 'The 39 clues'. However on this cover, it has been shattered, which may be a reference to the fact that if the Master Serum falls into the wrong hands, the world could be ended.
- Also, the other four keys are flying outwards from the logo. This probably means that those keys are also in the logo, but hidden from view.
- On the spine of each book, the title of the book has a bright glow around it, however, on the spine for this book, there is no glow.
- It is the longest book in the first series with a total of 327 pages.
- This book unlocks Mission 10: End Game.
- Although the other books show she doesn't care about her, this book shows the one time Isabel Kabra had physically hurt her daughter, Natalie Kabra.
- This book gives hints about the Vespers.
- When Mr. McIntyre tells Dan and Amy about the Vespers towards the end of the book he also tells them that they've inherited Grace's land.
- Everyone who participated in the Gauntlet received 2 million dollars.
Also, at the end of Chapter 2, Isabel slaps Ian.