|Age:||18 (Series One)
20 (Series Two)
|First Appears In:||The Maze of Bones|
|Last Appears In:||Day of Doom|
Ned Haverford Starling is an Ekaterina and one of the Starling triplets. He and his sister, Sinead Starling, and brother, Ted Starling made up one team of the race for the 39 Clues. According to Dan, the three of them look like "part of a cloned Ivy League lacrosse team." He was one of the suspects for Vesper Four. He suffers from serious migraines which affect his thinking ability.
Ned and his siblings, were caught in an explosion in the Franklin Institute. Hospitalized, the Starlings were in "bad shape." When they got out, they were grounded by their parents, "eliminating" them from the contest.
It was revealed that Ned and Ted suffered serious injuries in the explosion. Ted's eyes were damaged so that he is only able to see light and dark and Ned has migraines frequently, interrupting his ability to think.
Ned is in a hospital elevator with Alistair Oh and Ted Starling when some Vespers attack them. Alistair buys time for Ned to escape and get help. He and the Cahill siblings (Amy and Dan) are the only ones to escape the Vesper kidnapping attempts. He later tells the Cahill family (more specifically Eisenhower Holt), that the kidnappings were happening in every branch.
He, like his triplet siblings, has auburn hair and freckles. Ned also wears preppy clothes like his siblings: khakis, button-downs, and loafers.
- He is left-handed, although his triplet brother, Ted, is right-handed.
- He had birthday parties at the planetarium every year growing up.
- He began going on Ekat missions with his siblings when they were only 11.
- He was a suspect for being Vesper 4, though was proven not to be.
- The watcher saw him as an potential vesper.
- The short story Rapid Fire #2 states he is 16 at the time of Grace's funeral.